The American Land Title Association (ALTA) exists to help our members excel in a changing business and regulatory environment. To accomplish our mission, we advocate on behalf of our members’ and the industry’s interests, provide education and information to our members, offer networking opportunities, and create and promote professional industry standards. In 2020, ALTA will focus on these strategic priorities to help ALTA members:
Find Solutions to Protect Your Customers’ Money
- Promote awareness of closing scams and wire fraud and educate consumers through a coalition of stakeholders.
- Educate our members about both cyber and physical environment security threats to their businesses.
- Promote best practices and public policy to protect funds transferred as part of a real estate transaction.
Prepare for Privacy Laws and Regulations
- Help our members understand the impact of and, if required, the need for compliance with comprehensive state laws related to data privacy, including the California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Develop industry principles regarding federal or state comprehensive data privacy legislation or regulation.
- Collaborate with industry partners on data privacy related advocacy efforts.
Prepare for Digital Closings
- Identify the benefits and risks associated with digital closing in order to put the industry in the best position to solve problems and inspire innovative ideas.
- Develop awareness, tools and education about the various aspects of digital closing and provide information about the availability of technological advances such as Remote Online Notary.
- Advocate for federal, state and local regulatory and legislative improvements to meet industry needs for implementation of digital closings.
- Collaborate with industry stakeholders on digital closing adoption (including MBA, MISMO and GSEs).
Tell Our Story
- Develop and implement a public awareness campaign to communicate with target audiences inside and outside our industry describing who we are and the value we bring.
- Provide public relations resources to help describe who we are as an industry.
- Utilize resources to better connect our entire membership to power grassroots support for our advocacy efforts.
Engage with Relevant Agencies Focused on Federal Housing Finance Policy, Including the GSEs
- Engage with Government Sponsored Enterprises, private market investors, and their regulators who utilize title insurance to responsibly manage their risk and provide value to their customers.
- Collaborate to improve the flow of data sharing within the real estate transfer process.
Develop and Retain Talent
- Promote the title & real estate settlement profession to prospective employees to attract talent and engage future leaders in the industry and at ALTA.
- Increase workforce skills, knowledge and specialized expertise.