ALTA’s Land Title Institute® (LTI) is pleased to present a Model Training Program that incorporates elements for new and veteran employees. Build the perfect training program with a mix of audio, video, distance learning, team-building, and face-to-face training opportunities.
Rely on LTI for Title-Specific Training!
Quickly train new employees by offering high-quality materials to help them learn the basics. Make sure they understand your company's mission. Consider assigning each new hire a mentor. A mentor can introduce a new employee to the company and the general workplace culture.
- Personnel Policy Manual
- Company Operations Manual
- Company Website Overview
- Company Software Manual
- Basic Computer Applications
(Microsoft Training available free online!)
- Underwriter Manual
Once new employees have completed all of hiring paperwork, it's time for training specific to their title insurance job. This is an opportunity for the new employee to bond with a staff member besides their mentor. Consider funding a lunch outing for the three of them, and ensure the formation of team unity while the new hire learns about the ins and outs of their position.
Job-Specific Training Options:
- One-on-One Training with Experienced Staff
- Job Training (Overview and description of duties)
- Job Shadowing (Watch and learn from experienced staff)
- Duplication of Duties (Perform duties in parallel with experienced staff)
Your company is part of a greater whole: the land title industry. At this point it is imperative that new employees understand where the company fits into the industry as they gain experience and begin to have more substantive input into company policies and practices.
LTI offers two forms of instruction:
- Videos, educational training videos in DVD format
- Distance Learning, self-study courses that include reading assignments and tests
Your state may also require state-specific training, so be sure to visit your State or Regional Land Title Association website to see if there are any other requirements.
New Title Agent Kit
Order all videos and courses from the Beginner Module at a lower price point here!More Info & Order
This is a great time in the training process to encourage your employee to learn more about the community of people and companies that make up the land title industry. State, regional and national Land Title Associations offer many opportunities for development of knowledge and relationships, which can help your company succeed. LTI video training is a wonderful tool to teach employees at this stage about the settlement process, industry shorthand, and much more.
For employees who know just about everything, consider some advanced training opportunities. Professional development is important for everyone on your company's team, and it can also be useful for veteran staff to learn more about all areas of a title operation.
- TRID Training is a 2.5 hour training DVD that addresses the economic factors that led to passage of the Dodd-Frank legislation, the establishment and goals of the CFPB, key components of the CFPB Rule, related regulatory action impacting your business, and how you can help your customers prepare for implementation. Also included is a detailed review of the new Loan Estimate and Closing Disclosure.
Training | Webinars | Lecture | Classroom
Be sure to promote professional development for your employees and a long-term career path in the land title industry. Employees who see a future for themselves with a company and feel connected to the company mission are likely to become long-term successful contributors. Consider a management training program, which may include some or all of the following:
- Local & regional seminars offered by State and Regional Land Title Associations: These organizations have annual meetings and other networking events and educational programming throughout the year.
- ALTA Insights Webinars: Free 30 minute webinars, available monthly, help keep land title professionals informed and up-to-date on key industry initiatives, topics, and trends.
- ALTA Major Meetings & Professional Development: CE and CLE Credit is available for many states. ALTA hosts three major meetings and several smaller meetings each year.
Team Training | Mentoring | Lunch & Learn
New information and knowledge is a priority for all staff. The Title Triumph® Board Game is a great tool for keeping veteran staff sharp and building team unity with new hires. Title Triumph is a unique and challenging twist in education - and it's the only title-specific board game available. Play it at your conference or break room table. No high tech equipment needed. The topics, including closing & escrow; search & exam; commitments & policies; and general industry knowledge, will test employees' knowledge and comprehension.
Tips for getting more out of Title Triumph:
- Start staff meetings with 5 questions and $5. Award $1 for each correct answer. Keep a year-long tally of the person who answers the most questions correctly and award a $50 gift card.
- Use actual examples and company "war stories" to write new question cards.
- Customize questions for your state laws and regulations.
Further Professional Development
The Title Action Network (TAN™) is an energized movement of title insurance industry professionals promoting the industry's value and protecting consumer rights. TAN membership is free and it only takes two minutes to sign up! As a member you will receive action alerts for relevant state and federal issues.
ALTA's Title Insurance and Settlement Company Best Practices: ALTA created best practices to help members highlight policies and procedures the industry exercises to protect consumers, promote quality service, provide for ongoing employee training, and meet legal and market requirements. Though they are voluntary, these practices are designed to help members illustrate to consumers and clients the industry's professionalism and best practices to ensure a positive and compliant real estate settlement experience.
The National Title Professional (NTP®) Designation is designed to recognize land title professionals who demonstrate the knowledge, experience, and dedication essential to the safe and efficient transfer of real property.
CE Credit Available—Distance Learning CoursesAvailable in Select States · No Travel Necessary
No Scheduled Lectures · Earn CE Credits While Working
Study at Your Own Pace Where and When You Want