ALTA Reports Full-year, Q4 2021 Title Premium Volume, Market Share Data
May 5, 2022
Driven by historic mortgage origination activity and substantial increase in home values, ALTA reported title insurance premium volume increased 35.9% during 2021 when compared to 2020.
The title insurance industry generated $26.2 billion in title insurance premiums during 2021 compared to $19.2 billion during 2020, according to ALTA’s Market Share Analysis.
Overall, total operating income for the industry was up 33.4%, operating expenses increased 32.0%, and loss and loss adjustment expenses were up 2.3 percent. In 2021, the industry paid more than $474.4 million in claims.
While the overall expense to purchase a home has increased significantly the past few years, the cost of title insurance coverage has decreased 7% since 2004. This means that for each dollar of premium a consumer purchases, they get an extra $26 in coverage compared to 2004.
- First American Title Insurance Co., 20.5%
- Old Republic Title Insurance Co.,14.8%
- Chicago Title Insurance Co., 14.0%
- Fidelity National Title Insurance Co., 13.5%
- Stewart Title Insurance Co., 8.9%
- Westcor Land Title Insurance Co., 5.9%
- Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Co., 4.1%
- WFG National Title Insurance Co., 2.8%
- Title Resources Guaranty Co., 2.4%
- Doma Title Insurance Co., 1.9%
- Texas, $3.52 billion (+39.5%)
- Florida, $2.89 billion (+52.1%)
- California, $2.82 billion (+24.6%)
- New York, $1.45 billion (+42.8%)
- Pennsylvania, $1.18 billion (+42.4%)
Click here for more market share data. ALTA expects to release Q1 2022 market data around June 1.
Contact ALTA at 202-296-3671 or firstname.lastname@example.org.