New standards for those handling settlements are being imposed by lenders in response to governmental directives. A new closing disclosure form along with new procedures on who will prepare the document and provide it to consumers still needs decided. Now is the time for the industry to speak with one voice and explain the vital role we serve in the real estate transaction.
Join us May 5-8 in Washington, D.C., for our annual Federal Conference and Lobby Day to let your Congressional representatives know how federal decisions will impact your business and consumers (voters) in their districts.
The Registration Brochure for ALTA's Federal Conference and Lobby Day will be arriving in your mailbox and contains all the information you need to know about the schedule of events, conference hotel, travel accommodations and registration rates.
You can also check out the electronic version of the Registration Brochure and register online. Save $50 by registering online. Early-bird registration ends April 15.
The hotel cut-off date is April 13. Book your room now to take advantage of room discounts and to ensure your stay at the conference headquarters. Be sure to ask for the American Land Title Association group rate to reserve your hotel room.
Here are some conference highlights:
- U.S. Sen. Heidi Heitkamp will discuss a number of issues that could affect ALTA members, including mortgage regulations from the CFPB, housing finance reform, taxes and the budget.
- Steven Antonakes, acting deputy director for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, has been invited to discuss the Bureau’s efforts to combine mortgage disclosures required under RESPA and TILA.
- From the historic Decatur House on Lafayette Square, Chas Langelan of the Surveyors Historical Society will discuss the history of surveying in the United States and how its techniques and instruments have changed over time.
- A panel will discuss the homebuying, mortgage refinance and closing process from the perspective of a consumer and offer potential solutions to enhance the customer experience.
- ALTA staff will provide a Lobby Day briefing to ensure a successful visit with your legislators.
- Peanuts, Cracker Jack and TIPAC
(Check out the registration brochure to find out more!)
You can follow ALTA on Twitter for the latest information about the Federal Conference. Use #altafed.
Make Lobby Day Successful
To help prepare you for Lobby Day, ALTA has scheduled a series of 30-minute advocacy and 101 webinars. Here’s the schedule:
Early-bird Cut-off Date is April 15, 2013
Renaissance Washington, DC
999 Ninth Street NW
Washington, District of Columbia 20001
$279 per night
(not including room taxes and fees)
Book your room
Hotel Cut-off date:
April 13, 2013
Schedule at a Glance
CE & CLE Credits Available Soon