Tax Credit Deadline Nears
April 20, 2010
How to Get the Extended Home Buyer Tax Credit
Here's what a buyer must do to do to get the credit:
- Close on your home purchase between November 7, 2009 and April 30, 2010, or have a binding written contract in place by April 30, 2010 with a closing date no later than June 30, 2010.
- Decide whether to:
- apply the credit to your 2009 tax return, filed on or before April 15, 2010;
- file an amended 2009 return; or,
- apply the credit on your 2010 return, filed on or before April 15, 2011.
- Attach documentation of purchase to your return.
Buyers purchasing homes on or before Dec. 31, 2009 may claim the credit on their 2009 tax returns. Buyers purchasing in 2010 will have the option to:
- Claim the credit on their 2009 return, even if the purchase is completed after Dec. 31, 2009;
- File an amended return for 2009 if their purchase is completed after April 15, 2010; or,
- Claim the credit on their 2010 tax returns.